Friday, December 12, 2008

Surprise

After five days, I still can't believe it, but it's true. The twins were born on Sunday at 7:32 pm at twenty-four weeks and two days of gestation. Despite all our efforts to keep those cute little buns in the oven, there was just no stopping them. I will post later the events that lead up to their debut, but for now, I wanted to give everyone an update on how my guys are doing.

I am ecstatic to tell you that they are doing fantastic. Skippy (Owen Patrick) weighed in at 1.9 lbs and is 12 ¼ inches long. He has light brown hair and blond eyebrows. He has continued his constant wiggling and is happiest when all his limbs are spread every which way. Which now that he is no longer in the vicinity of my bladder, makes me chuckle. Scooter (Griffin Sawyer) followed at 1.6 lbs and 11 ¾ inches. He has dark curly hair, his daddy's feet, and the longest eyelashes I have ever seen. He remains Mr. Mellow, until he gets tired of people messing with him. They resembled little old men with their scrawniness and wrinkles, but already their hands and feet are beginning to fill out and get that pinchable chubbiness. Both boys have been taken off the ventilator and are breathing on their own, which is truly amazing. They continue to receive oxygen through that little tube that sits on their noses. Apparently, the oxygen level in a normal room is 20%. Skippy's level is at 21% and Scooter's is at 24%, so soon neither will need to have oxygen at all and they will be breathing completely on their own. Obviously, this is a miracle and one we are extremely grateful for. And the miracles just keep coming. Their brain scans show no blood pooling. Their heart scans show no murmurs or defects. Skippy's eyes are open and are the normal baby blue. Scooter, on the other hand, hasn't opened his eyes yet. But then again, with those eyelashes, he's probably going to need a crane to help him out. They sound like little baby kittens when they cry, which is pitiful and adorable all at the same time. And I have been reassured they will gain plenty of volume in the future. Yesterday, they had their first baths. Neither enjoyed the experience very much, but then again, they are boys, so not all that surprising. Both have moved from intravenous feedings, to taking breast milk from feeding tubes. At first Skippy's tummy didn't like it, but now he is keeping it down and he had a good little poop. (Oh the things we talk about as parents. But hey, at least we know all that equipment works.) Scooter's introduction to breast milk happened this afternoon, so we will see how he does.

Many people have asked if they will get to come home before Christmas. Sadly, they won't this year, but I have made myself feel better about this by thinking that they won't know it's Christmas anyway. But I'll know, and I am dreading that aspect of what has always been my favorite holiday. I hold onto the hope of them being at home next year. But I also feel that having them still alive in this world is the best present I have ever been given. And I could easily go the rest of my life without another gift after having the honor of being these little guys' mom.

I hope you get your heart's desire this Season of Love, Hope and Joy. I know that I have.

Jenna

3 comments:

Jennifer Short said...

Hey Jenn,
Congradulation on the Boys. I am so happy to hear they are doing good.My thougt and prayers are with you guys. I miss and love you guys!!!

Cheri said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow! What a delightful development. Thank you for sharing in your excellent writing, and with the beautiful pictures. I'll stay in touch with your blog as you chronicle life with Skippy and Skooter.

Christmas blessings to all of you.